Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Carrier thermostat has a blank screen
, this

Customer Question

Customer: hi my Carrier thermostat has a blank screen
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: this thermostat controlling pad is located in the living room. before I found this problem, I adjusted temperature in that pad, and the thermostat controlling pad in my bedroom works as usual there is no backlihghting can't see anything from the screen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: what is the different between this one and https://secure.justanswer.com/payment/deposit-funds.aspx?tqid=441847164&pt=806&catid=54753&rpt=501
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Carrier thermostat is called "Edge" thermostat, total 2 in house, another one works as usual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked breaker, no problem, the heating system under another "Edge" thermostat's control is also fine
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Kevin.

There are a couple of things to check. Do you know if your thermostats are battery powered or are they powered by the unit?

If they are battery powered, then you need to check or change the batteries and see if this resolves the problem. If they are unit powered (24v from blower unit, or furnace) then you need to make sure the switch to that blower unit or furnace is turned on. Check also the breaker for that blower or furnace ( I believe you have already said you checked, but I would recheck) After that we would need to test for voltage at the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's unit powered, but I don't know how to make sure the blower unit or furnace is turned on. Seems like the heat pump which related to this thermostat stops working. (I can't hear any sound from the machine)
I checked the breaker again, it fine (I think blower or furnace is related to the "Heat pump" and "Fan Coil")
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

if it is a heat pump, it is related to "fan coil". Fan coil is or should be on separate circuit on your circuit breaker panel. Most likely a 2 pole breaker, because it may include electric heat "backup". There may also be a service switch associated with the "fan coil" unit, it is located usually within 6 feet of the unit. may look like a light switch. there may also be breakers directly on the fan coil unit (1), that may be shut off. Turn off then back on. This will make sure that you reset it if it is tripped. If the breaker clicks back to a "center" position or off, it means you have a more serious problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did again check the "fan coil" and turn it on and off, still no use
For the switch you said, I found two boxes within 6 feet of the unit (see attachment photos), but they look like a kind of fuse. (I tried to pull them out and insert later, still nothing happens)
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I just see the picture of the circuit breaker legend. Should be circuits 32-34, 16-18. I think I would also check 2-4 down the bottom left, this is labeled duct heaters. If you cannot find anything off, I would suspect a bad transformer or possible blown fuse on the inside of the "fan coil" unit. If you do open the panel on the fan coil unit, make sure you treat it as a "live circuit" unless you turn off breaker or service switch. Even though your thermostat does not have power, we can assume that the unit does and something else is dropping the power to the transformer.