Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My heat is not working. The blower will work if turned on.

Customer Question

My heat is not working. The blower will work if turned on. When the heat is turned on you can hear something trying to do something.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Remove the burner compartment panel then turn the power off to the furnace wait a minute then turn it back on. Tell me what happens. Does the inducer fan (small fan on the front) run? does the igniter glow? if it doesn't fire up I need to know what the blink sequence is on the control board LED in the blower compartment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It tries to start but doesn't. The led blinks 3 times quickly. Nothing glows
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Ok, this is a draft pressure switch (see attached pic for typical) not closing error. This can be cause by a blocked exhaust vent, or the small diameter vacuum tubing to the switch could be kinked or has water in it or the port where it connects to the furnace could be blocked or the tubing could be disconnected. You could also have a bad switch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It appears that I have 2 of these. How do I know if they are bad?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You need to eliminate the other possibilities first and/or put a manometer on exhaust. Since I doubt you have a manometer just replacing the switch is the cheaper option since manometer is a lot more money than a switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took the tubing off and did not find anything inside. Where is the exhaust? Where can I purchase these switches?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

The exhaust piping is connected to the inducer fan and runs to outside the house. I doubt any local supply house will sell you a switch since they usually only sell to licensed techs. You can try online by calling these guys. They'll want model and serial number.
http://bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/contactus.htm

Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Of course you should always check your electrical connections as well