Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My problem is with my heatilator fire place. It wont light

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my problem is with my heatilator fire place. It wont light and It make a loud rattling sound. I cant tell if the sound is coming from the Robertshaw DS 845 controller or the other small black box next to the gas valve????
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I removed the ground wire and cleaned the mounting screw on the lighter and it sparks great but the sound is still there and it wont light and there is a red blinking light on the controller???
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: oh and I can smell the gas coming out of the burner tube so its getting gas???
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Loud rattling sounds generally come from any blowers in the system not any of the other components, tell me if you can hear the fan running or not

If you can find a wiring diagram on the unit anywhere please attach a clear well focused photo of it here, taken close up and straight on, use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar for that

or the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button.