airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a York

Customer Question

I have a York
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Next please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to be taken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach it here.,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If you have an error code showing, tell me what the code read out is on the wiring diagram or a sticker next to the diagram please.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attach files'link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached is the wiring diagram.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is going to be quite a time consuming challenge, if you can let me work on it overnight I can do what I can for you, or I can opt out, Let me know your prefference,

I need to know what color wires you have attached to your new thermostat, and where those very same wires attach inside the furnace, Photos will be best, Use the Paper clip icon, that is best,

Let me know we can go from there if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tomorrow is fine. photos is on the word file.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

I will see you first thing tomorrow morning, if you do not see my response just post back in this thread that will put you on top of the stack again,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good.Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did you get it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you have it ready?
Expert:  airheatman replied 11 months ago.

Can you please look on thermostat and tell me if it is the 2110,2210 or 1100?

The model you provided on thermostat covers all three. There should be a label on inside of thermostat telling us which one you have

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is what I got

Excellent you have the 2210 See below. This should be pretty simple. First let me ask if you took a picture or know what wires you had to what terminals on old thermostat?

Based on the wiring you sent .wire as follows:

R will go to R (This is 24 volt power)(AH and outdoor)

G will go to G (This controls blower)(Air Handler)

Y will go to Y (This controls contactors in outdoor unit) (Outdoor)

O will go to O(This controls reversing valve) (Outdoor)

W will go to AUX/E (This controls heat strips in auxiliary mode)(AH and Outdoor)

B will go to C (This is 24v Common)

L/X not used (Tape off)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It looks like I'm talking to a computer, because as I state yesterday I send you a file with all the pictures, of the new and old thermostat, and the units, you keep asking me the same question. Do this take aloof again on the first file I sent to you. For what you said last right I understood you would have all done by now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the miss spel, I'm typing from my crazy phone

I am a different tech than what you talked to last night.He opted out of question.I do not have any pictures of the old thermostat,new thermostat or color of wires. The only file I see is the one where you used a pen to highlight the wires(No color shown).

Let me know if you got my post telling you which terminals to use.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh I didn't know that can you see the file I send add. Yesterday? Here this the file I sent him.
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Dk02Oaz9/Original+wiring+diagram.docx

Not letting me open it.

Please verify you have these terminals on new stat (R,G,Y,O,AUX/E)

I can open this one. I will type how to wire based on this. But I do not see a color to G (I am going to call it green)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Old and new thermostat

Green from air handler to G

White to Aux/E

Brown (Does not go to thermostat)

Yellow to Y

Blue (Tape off)

Red to R

Black to C

Orange to O

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
black go on c? And nothing goes on B?

That is correct. On your old thermostat B was Common.On new thermostat C is Common

New thermostat O and B are both for reversing valve. Some units reverse in Heat mode and would use B, but your unit reverses in Cool mode so we use O)

Alao that there is a gas/oil/electric heat pump switch.It must be set to Heat Pump not gas

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You mean like this?

Absolutely. This should now work.I will stand by if you want to check operation.Make sure that switch I mentioned is on Electric/Heat pump mode.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is this switch?

The blue and white most likely go to same place in air handler. You can stick the blue in with white if you want just in case they have wired seperately in air handler, but both should go to elements. Your old thermostat had a separate W and X terminal where new has a single Aux/E. (X was emergency heat on old)

If you have the switch it will be on subbase.If no switch disregard

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is 2 switches on the heat pump unit?

Some of the TH2000 series had switches, some do not. They will be obvious if there.If not computer board in thermostat has everything set based on wiring

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see. Are you sure I have to put white and blue together?

If you want to take a look in air handler, you will probably find they tie together.You can put them together. All they do is energize heat strips. The white energized them in auxilarry mode and blue energized them in emergency mode with old thermostat.New thermostat has one AUX/E terminal that energizes them in either auiliay or emergency.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I saw the blue wire comes straight from the ac to the thermostat without be connect to the heat pump

OK connect Blue and white both together to AUX/E

W was UX on old and X was EM Ht on old. New thermostat has a single AUX/E terminal see below

W was AUX X was EMERGENCY

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did but out side unit spent come on, is there any fuse in the outside unit?

Did you allow 5 minutes for outdoor to come on.Most likely has a compressor protection delay in thermostat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Outside unit doesn't come, and heat still not working just the emergency heat and fan

Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting? Thermostat should be right

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it jumps straight to Em.heat

Turn thermostat to COOL and go to outdoor unit where wires connect.Check between Y and C (Yellow and Black) to see if we have 24 volts AC

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's really cold to night, I'll do it in the morning, than I get back with you

Sounds good.We will go from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm Checking right now between Y and C (Yellow and Black) to see if we have 24 volts AC

Let me know.If we have 24v there, we need to concentrate on outdoor unit.If not,look for a drain float switch or anything in circuit that may be breaking circuit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I got it 24 v on B and Y, I got the Outside unit working, however when I put in heat the inside fan will blow, the out side unit works, but won't blow hot until the aux/E outomaric comes on with than blow hot

Does outdoor come on in heat mode? If so feel of the large copper line from outdoor and tell me if it is cold, hot or outdoor temp

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it come me on heat mode because it's hot

If copper line is hot.you should get warm air inside.The hot copper line goes to indoor coil.Air moving across hot coil should be warm

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is working now but why the heat and the Aux comes on at the same time?

Do you have setpoint 3 degrees or more above room temp? If so aux is going to come on also.Drop down to 2 degrees above room temp and see if aux goes off

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh, well seems it is working now. I'll check AC when get a little warmer

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.