HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Hunter here...My fireplace is about 15 years old and until

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, Ken Hunter here...My fireplace is about 15 years old and until now has worked very well. My problem is the fire shuts off by it self even though the remote says "on" I have replaced the thermocouple, and the fan, cleaned the fireplace with compressed air, and the problem persists. the pilot is strong and blue, and to get the fireplace to fire I sometimes have to click the igniter, even though the pilot light is on and working. When it does go on it shuts down after 5 minutes or less...Hmmmmm....any ideas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that seems to be extent of it...perhaps I should replace the remote, although it appears to work fine and has new batteries.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: go ahead....you solve this problem, I would be happy to pay....thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are sending me to a subscription page of which I am not interested, I am interested in your opinion on how to get my fireplace operating properly....if there is a fee for making the proper diagnosis then so be it....again I am not interested in future subscriptions to your service at this time
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Ken you likely have a bad thermopile have you checked or replaced that on the unit? That is the device with the wires to it and the most likely cause of the problem. You can check it with a volt meter for 350+millivolts at the valve where the RED and WHITE wire connect to the valve.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I this a computer generated answer....I stated that I replaced the thermocouple...is that the same as the thermopile?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

No the thermopile is completely different that the thermocouple. The thermopile is the large sensor by the pilot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it....stay tuned
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will be out for just a bit but will post back. The only two things that typically cause that issue is a bad thermopile or bad valve not much else.