Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Had two pros here already problem and still no results just

Customer Question

Had two pros here already for this problem and still no results just a lot of guessing. I have a 27 year old Trane XE60 furnace and heat pump/ac. The problem is intermittent. It.s a gas furnace.The burner will fire up and run non-stop , even when the stat is switched to the off position and even when the stat is pulled off of the wall! The stat is deemed to be OK and today a new gas valve was installed. Same problem. Just wondering if you have any ideas.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

So you've pulled stat off the wall, that's a good starting point. Have you tried taking the thermostat wires off the board to see if this still occurs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also disconnected all wires from relay board to inside furnace.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Try taking one of the leads to the gas valve off and see if it still occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it won,t ignite.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

But the burners don't stay on, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

It is going to be whatever controls that gas valve, then, not the gas valve itself. This could be an old ignition module or a board. If you can give me the full model number, I will see what I can pull up on it. Also, if you can upload to the site here a clear copy of the wiring diagram, I can look at this.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have additional questions on this?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.