Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

We have a Heatilator fireplace. We lost power and when it

Customer Question

We have a Heatilator fireplace. We lost power and when it came back on the junction box had no power. We replaced the junction box and have power to all the outlets but the fan. Fireplace ignites but we have no lights or blower fan. If we unplug the cord from the junction box marked fan and plug it into the wall socket the lights work and fan slowly turns. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

hi........do you have a model number for that?..........the junction box that you replaced.....how did you determine it was bad?............are there 3 outlets (plug-ins) on it ?........does it go to switch? and what did the switch operate exactly?.........who was it that did the work on this? an electrician? or you ?............are there 4 wires going into the junction box and a red 'jumper' wire? that you might have noticed...........please answer each question methodically for it help me if you are specific

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answers to your questions below in line.
Model number: GCDC60/80
Determined it was bad by trying to ignite the fire. No luck. Using a electrical tester determined that there was power going into the junction box, but not not coming out.
Yes, 3-plug ins.
No switch involved.
It was installed by me and worked perfectly for a couple of years until this latest power outage.
No, only two wires - a black and white wire, just the original junction box.Let me know what you think.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

there has to be a switch...... on the wall somewhere? .................how do you turn the unit and it's blower on and off?.........you don't plug and unplug it everytime..........when you replaced the box you could have crossed the wires somehow...........quite possibly the white wires..........do you remember any conflicts in your mind while doing it?..............and those 3 outlets in the box are they ground fault protected? and did you replace them with an ordered part from Heatilator ..........thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a switch on the wall to provide power to the unit. A remote is used to turn on/off The fireplace. No wires crossed - only one white and one black wire. No Ground Fault. Yes, replaced with part from Heatilator.We have power to the trans outlet and the aux outlet, but no power to the fan outlet. Normally, the lights turn on immediately with the fire and the blower comes on about 10-15 minutes later. Now, the neither the lights or blower work.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

do you have one of these ? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT500/204140729 or know someone that does.......if you decide to buy one it is an invaluable tool sometimes........it will determine what is going wrong with each of those receptacles.......because a I see it , it is just a straight hook-up on a terminal block a hot side and the neutral side and all should be working .......now it could be that they gave you a defective switch.......the blower went bad with the power surge.........if we could try this tester next it could get us a little closer to resolving this

thanks

eddie

PS can you tell me your name too