Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm trouble shooting my 1986 Mueller Climatrol furnace.

Customer Question

Customer: I'm trouble shooting my 1986 Mueller Climatrol furnace. Power is going to the furnace. It kicks on for about 15 seconds and then wont stay on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So far I tried the manual fan switch, all good. The reset button does nothing. I found the manual reset on the motor which doesn't click and stay in.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with this issue. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is almost certainly a bad or simply dirty flame sensor rod issue.

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to be taken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach ithere. ,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

Include a few pictures of the area where the gas header connects to the burners, taken from about 4 feet away, that will give me an over view, perhaps I can point out the flame sensor rod to you.

If you have an error code showing, tell me what the code read out is on the wiring diagram or a sticker next to the diagram please.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attachfiles'link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

We can go from there.