Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I need help connection my humidifier
, I have York

Customer Question

Customer: i need help connection my humidifier
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have York Furnace YP9C and i have Model 7000 Humidifier.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have external humidifstat and i want to connect it direct to my furnace
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How do i connect my Humidifier with my Humidistat and my Furnace without using Model S1-HURELAY24VAA
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Hello

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to be taken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach ithere.,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attachfiles'link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with instructions.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
from my humidifier i have the 120V cord and two yellow wires
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do have an external humidistat as well
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** external humidistat in series with the red wire I show going from Hum on the thermostat to the solenoid valve on the humidifier.

http://screencast.com/t/lhYvl4mab

I can show that too if you need it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
im not using the HM1.
Im using a regular thermostat with a additional humidistat controller
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
from the humidistat and the humidifier to the furnace where i connect the two wires
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
from the humidifier one wire connected to the Humidifier controller (humiidistat) and the other wire need to connect to the furnace control board. Which terminal in the furnace the wire need to be connected to and from the humidistat which terminal in the furnace the second wire needed to be connected to ?
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

http://screencast.com/t/Vih8uScW0

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional, and thorough, please locate the 'rate your expert button' and click one of the ratings .If you still need help let me know!. Rating will not increase your charges, nor close the question, but is how I earn my living.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what is the small box and the big box
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the circle the big box ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what a bout the DHUM and the R on the furnace
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
im usig Aprilaire 4655 Manual Humidifier Humidistat and my Humidifier is model 7000
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
if ill do what you just sent me. it will turn on the heat from the Humidistat and not from the actual thermostat
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Sorry I forgot to mark the Humidistat this time, its the small blue box

The circle in the big blue box is the water solenoid valve controlled by the two small wires connected to W and C on the furnace terminal strip

R is the 24volt + power to the furnace from the thermostat

Dhum is 'dehumidification' your thermostat must be set up for that, but apparentlly it is not from what you said earlier.

What i sent you will not turn on the heat from the humidistat, it will turn on the humidifier water solenoid whenever there is a call for maximum heat at the furnace terminal strip.

I am 74 years old, not retired yet, I do this for a living, we can go from here anyway you wish. However if you want to do this in order to get both Dehumidification and Humidification you will be best off by a wide margin using the thermostat that was intented to match up with that furnace as shown on their diagram.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. the way you tell me how to connect it. its currently connected like that. In what i sent you its also mention an external Humidistat that show to connect it to the DHUM and to the R. what is the different from how its shown to what you telling me to do. what you telling me to do dont work
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do want to get a clear answer because we going going back and forth.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
if i connect it to w and C which it is right now the humidifier dont work its just turning on the Heat
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Hello again,

an external humidistat will not work for dehumidification, Dehumidification is achieved by running the cooling in a special very low speed fan mode, with the booster heat on etc.

An external humidistat only controls a humidification process.

When you do not have the correct thermostat you only get humidification when 'full heat' is on, that is when W is powered.

If you want humidification at any other time you need to use the thermostat specified shown no the manufacturers drawing.

What you are attempting is something like putting a old mother board into a later model computer, it might work, but you will loose functions.

Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

You have one of the worlds most advanced furnaces there and a thermostat without the needed circuits to control it properly.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what do i need to do?
because the W and C turn on my heater instead of ruining the humidifier
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

W and C do turn on the heater, that is how the furnace is wired, I simply put your humidistat, and humidifier solenoid parallel in that circuit, so that whenever the W (heat) was energized, you would get power to the humidifier circuit as well,

You need the factory specified thermostat to go with that furnace to get full function.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thank you. I will try to replace the thermostat and will go from there
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Good idea, if you will kindly rate my advice positively I will hold the question open for any follow up or additional help you might need later, rating will not increase your charges, but is how I earn a living.