Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Advantage Repair
90277609

I just replaced the blower on my American Standard Freedom

Customer Question

I just replaced the blower on my American Standard Freedom 80 Comfort R air handler a few weeks ago. It has been running great with both heat and ac but now (just started yesterday) when the ac is running and the thermostat hits 75 degrees there is a loud humming noise (i.e. "heeeee....") coming from inside the air handler. Do you think this is a transformer or a capacitor? Something else?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I would check power to the blower relay. I say this, because when you hit 75 degrees, I'm assuming about the "desired or satisfied temperature", I would think that maybe the blower relay maybe sticking? might this be the case? If you can give me more infor, maybe we could figure it out together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Kevin, thanks for the response. How do I check power to the relay?The humming noise seems to be beginning after a period of time not necessarily at a certain temp or when it hits the "desired or satisfied temperature." What I said before seems to have just been coincidental, about it starting at 75 degrees. The only thing that seems to trigger the noise is time running. After approximately a 15-20 minutes of run time the noise begins ...The noise stops once the thermostat is turned off and the unit "clicks" off (before the blower stops running).When I turn the thermostat back to the on position the noise does not begin immediately. It starts making the noise again after another 15-20 minutes. I turn it off. The thermostat "clicks" three times, then turns off, the noise begins to slow down and stop, then the blower turns off.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

to be very honest with you,, I have no clue! Based on what you are describing, I would suspect friction at start up or shut down of the blower. your telling me you just replaced the blower motor, so, I'm thinking maybe it is not aligned properly in the blower cage? I have never heard of anything like this, but would like to hear the result. I will open this up for other experts to see if they have any answers. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.