Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm looking at a question you answered 4 yrs ago about

Customer Question

Hi Jeff, I'm looking at a question you answered 4 yrs ago about Venstar thermostats (google is funny that way)
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 5 very old RCS X-10 thermostats in my house. They are not wired directly to the HVAC system. Instead, everything is wired to a Hub, which is plugged into a JDS Stargate controller with an X-10 program running it. Over the years, I've converted everything else in my house to Insteon, but I never found a good solution for replacing the thermostats, because of the wiring configuration (I can't just substitute a new unit in place of the old). I just saw these Venstar units and I'm wondering whether or not they could serve as replacements
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What happened to the first guy I started talking to?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Ventstar is a great manufacturer but not a thermostat manufacturer, I cannot recommend them for thermostats.. the last venstar thermostat I looked at had a 168 page installation manual (usual is 1 to 5 pages). It was not a viable approach, they may have improved in the last year or so but for now you will be better off with a main line brand, such as White Rodgers, Honeywell or Robert shaw... only Honeywell however has well developed zone control panels.

Any zone control panel should be selected to suit the thermostats that go with it.

as a very first step here is something you might want to look over.

https://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/products/zoning/zoning_products.html

I can also help you with the systems engineering, but that will take me a few hours and is on an additional services basis.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My question was regarding a way to find a) Insteon-compatible thermostats, and b) a model that I could retrofit into my existing wiring. I don't think the brands you've mentioned have products that do that. Or did I miss something? Thanks
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

If you can get me the wiring diagram from that Insteon panel I might be able to help you, a photo of the insteon zone controller if that is what is, with the door open and the wiring diagram in very good light and well focused would work.

That said, the older X-10 controls, can be difficult situation to work with.

Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar above, or the attach files link to the left of your send button.... the clarity of the wiring diagram will be of utmost importance.

Take it from close up so that I can enlarge it and still read the lines and text it, along with its legend.

Just so you know there are dozens if not hundreds of possible variations possible, all using currently obsolete equipment. This could take you and me hours to sort out... I will give it my best for up to 4 hours of my time (thats 3 bucks an hour) then after that I will ask for a modest additional charge for the extensive time it may take to sort this out for you.

Let me know if this will be OK with you or not, lacking that I can opt to other of our experts here, however that will be a real long shot... we do 'just answers' here, when it gets into working with obsolete systems we have this issue I've mentioned.