Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Leak in ab valve on old furnace. if I could fine procedure

Customer Question

Customer: leak in ab valve on old furnace. if I could fine procedure for replacing with 2 valves i'd be happy!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just that the gas co came to turn on gas and said it leaked. I wasnt there at the time, but I know from the past that valve was going.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, or I could come back...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Is this a furnace (heats air) or a boiler (heats water)?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
air
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Ok, what does this "valve" do? what type of valve is it?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's an old "standing pilot" valve.
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Ok, now where getting somewhere. Is it millivolt or 24 volt? Is there a pilot safety/sensor like a thermocouple or thermopile?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Neither, this a supply valve that sends main gas to the furnace control valve, and thin tube direct to the pilot. If the pilot goes out there is no shutoff.
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Ok, so it's a 24 volt valve? I'm familiar with the config you describe and we can retrofit this but you will need to change the pilot to one with a safety. I just need to know the valve operating voltage

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Unfortunately the furnace is in a different location so I cant see it. I have to go there later today so can I get back to you later?
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Just come back to this thread. I'll be online most of the day until ~7 pm EST. I do take long breaks. I'll respond as soon as I can once you reply.