Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have more into an apt with a time, dormant fireplace.

Customer Question

I have more into an apt with a long time, dormant fireplace. There's a bit of debris (leaves and such) in the opening area of FP shaft (for lack of a better description). I recently brought a "log set" which burns gel fuel in cans, which can be used in dormant FP's, but a little nervous to strike a match with the debris.
I guess my question is, what is the best way to clean this stuff out? (other than spending alot of cash for a chimney sweep). And can a house fire start if a spark goes up chimney?
Thanks much.
Sue
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

A shop vac is you best option to clean out the fireplace and what you can reach of the flue. The type of debris you mention shouldn't be a hazard even if it does catch fire from your "log set" it will only burn briefly and won't get hot enough to be a concern. Your description of the "log set" indicates to me a low intensity fire which shouldn't be a problem either but you shouldn't burn anything else (like wood) in that fireplace until/unless you get the chimney inspected.