Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Trane AC/heating system in my house. The AC part

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Trane AC/heating system in my house. The AC part works fine but the heater does not. The thermostat 'clicks' like it should when you raise set the temp higher than room temp but the unit does not come on at all. Some of the external relays were bypassed but still not working. The fuselinks checked out ok. Any thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

What happens at the furnace with a call for heat? Have you tried bypassing the thermostat to see if this makes a difference?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We bypassed the thermostat and external relays. Also verified the fuselinks are good. AC works ok.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.

OK, so you bypassed the thermostat and it still doesn't work? What is the full model number of the furnace? Are you getting any LED flash code? What happens on a call for heat? Does the inducer motor start?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.

If you are getting no LED flash codes, get a voltmeter and set to volts AC. Test across C or COM to R at the control board with blower door switch pushed in. You should read 24 volts.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not home at the moment. Don't have full model #. There is no LED on the board. Nothing at all happens at the furnace side on a call for heat. However the thermostat does click on the call for heat. Don't want to spend extra 18 bux. BTW I was led to believe I wouldn't have to pay u bless I was satisfied. Now I'm told it's already been charged.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.

I need more information here to proceed. A full model number will help me in case I need to pull up a wiring diagram.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.

Otherwise, I'd just be guessing and I'm sure you don't want that. We can work through to a solution, but since I'm not there onsite, I need you to be my "eyes and ears". The question will remain open, so later is fine