Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a honeywell R8184g 1302 intermittent ignition oil

Customer Question

I have a honeywell R8184g 1302 intermittent ignition oil primary that has failed. I am replacing it will the recomended replacement honeywell r7284 primary. I have hooked all of the wires up as the directions show but I do not have power to the unit. When I move the ignition wire to a l2 slot the unit powers up but stays in the standby mode. Is this an issue you would be able to help with?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The problem with using the R7284 as a replacement for the R8184 is that the new control requires an additional hot feed. It requires constant voltage to L1 your old hot from the furnace/boiler goes to the LIMIT terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assumed it was something like that, on the new primary I installed the black hot feed from the old one onto the l1 post. Where does the additional hot feed go? on of the l2 posts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry just re-read your resonse. so the old hot feed goes to the limit terminal. So i need to pull another hot to the L1. I will try that.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You really only need 1 common/neutral but you can use any of the L2 terminals for an additional common. All you really need to do is run a single hot lead to L1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I ran a single hot lead to the L1 (checked it was 120v). And I moved the black wire from the old primary to the limit terminal on the new one. Still i have no power to the display. Just to recap I have the white wire to the igniter, orange to the motor, black to the limit,as well as a new hot lead to the L1. and I have no wires on the L2 terminals. Does this sound correct? I also have 2 yellow wires on the cad terminals and the 2 wires for the thermostat on the 2 t terminals.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need a common/neutral so you should have a common on L2 and it should be a constant so if you have an aquastat relay for a limit control the B2 lead may not be a constant. I'd suggest you run a common from your line in for the heating unit. If you already have all your whites tied together you can try a lead from them to L2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so the rest of the set up sounds correct, I just need a commom to a l2 correct? thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the wiring diagram shows the common from the unit's line in not B2 which may be what's feeding your bundled commons now