Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Carrier 38GVC Mini-split (230volt). The remote

Customer Question

I have a Carrier 38GVC Mini-split (230volt).
The remote controller with the unit only seems to allow setting the unit to go on/off in a single 24 hours period. For example: on for 3 hours, off for 21 hours. The manual states that this will repeat indefinitely if not other control inputs are made, but it does not seem to work.
Can I replace this controller with one that allows programming of on/off over longer periods - similar to a programmable thermostat? I've seen some "univeral" controllers on the internet that claim this.
Thank youl
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I see that you have been waiting.

Tell me if this looks like the owners manual for your unit or not, and if you are able to make sense of the programming instructions or not.

http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/Public/00/OM38-40GVC924-1.pdf

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That's it. The part that does not work is in the Timer Function section, Note 1 .... the system will operate on/off at these set times. It will continue...This gives the impression that it will repeat the cycle indefinitely until "the hours ON and OFF are changed or the timer function is turned OFF."My sense is that the Timer Function only works for a single ON/OFF cycle, and that the cycle can be as short as 0.5hrs ON/0.5hrs OFF, or as long as any combination of ON/OFF that totals 24.I'm wondering if that's the case, then perhaps there is a better remote controller that will allow full clock based settings - like a programmable thermostat?
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Hello, that behavior you are reporting is not part of Carriers design intention. Either the controller is bad, or you need to reprogram it.

You should be able to get any function you want, at any time, using the remote.

If we run into a brick wall on reprogramming it and you are sure you are doing it correctly, an identical new controller should fix the problem.

We can go from here without a time limit.

Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

If the electronics in the remote have developed micro cracks you will get similar results, these cracks expand and contract with changes in temperature. Therefore if we cool the remote in the refrigerator for about an hour, and try it.... then warm it up to about 120F with a hair drier and try it... and we see any change in behavior in either cold or warm mode, we know for sure that the remote is bad.

You can also try removing the batteries from the remote and putting them in backwards for 5 minutes then replacing them in the correct position, and see if we get any change after that (reverse polarity will sometimes fix problem).

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I can try reversing the batteries, and see if the remote works any differently.My intent for the unit is to heat a work space in a garage, and to be able to preset the unit to go on for 3 hours every night when I am out of town. The instructions for the timer function led me to believe that could work. Reading the instructions - I thought it said that I would first set the time ON with the unit OFF, and then turn the unit ON and set the time OFF. My interpretation is that - for example - if I set the time OFF at 3 hours, and the time ON at 8 hours, the unit will first run for 3 hours, then shut off for 8 hours, then run for 3 hours, etc.Unfortunately to check this function requires a minimum of an hour - setting the ON and OFF times for 0.5 hrs. each.I'll let you know if anything happens.Its a very crummy user interface, and makes a programmable thermostat look like rocket science. From what I've seen on the internet, this control unit (YB1F2F) is probably the cheapest, most basic one out there. Others seem to have separate buttons for time ON and time OFF, and also have actual clocks!
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Hello again, I think you may be misreading the programming instructions.

You do not set the time ON hours at a single digit time span, such as 3 hours.. You set it to come on at say 2 pm, and Off at 5 pm.

That would give you a 3 hour run time every day between the hours of 2 pm and 5pm

If you want it to run an additional 2 hours between say 9pm and 11 pm you would set the ON time to 9pm, and the OFF time to 11 pm the same day.. etc.

Let me know if that makes any sense on your end or not, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't think it does. There is no time of day clock in the remote control - there is no function for setting the current time of day!Think about the directions - set the ON time with the unit OFF, and the OFF time with the unit ON. So, for example, to set up a sequence now for 3 hours on and 21 hours off, the only way to do this would be to: ***** ***** in the ON time as 21hrs., then turn on the unit and put in the OFF time as 3 hours. Since it is now 3:20 pm., the unit will run until 6:20 pm, and then shut off for 21 hours until 3:20 pm tomorrow. Then it should go on for 3 hours - per the directions. However, every time I try this - for example in a shorter test using 1 hour and 1 hour, it does no come on again.I just reversed the batteries for 5 minutes, and am doing a 1/2 hour/1/2 hour trial.
Expert:  Phil replied 12 months ago.

Hello again, what does the Carrier dealer have to say about the situation? let me know. Meantime I will opt out so that other of our experts here can also see your question.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I haven't found anyone at Carrier who does anything but look up the manual, and certainly no one who has ever used the Timer Function.Again - my suspicion is they used a $.50 controller for a $5K heat pump, and never thought about real functionality.Thanks for trying.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello - is this question still being worked on? Its been 4+ days since the last response from Phil.