airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My heat pump heats up to set temp but fan stays on. I have

Customer Question

My heat pump heats up to set temp but fan stays on. I have to manually turn of system at thermostat for fan to turn off.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

This is normally caused by a sticking relay or defective fan control board in the unit.If you can provide model on unit and if you have a volt meter for troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you in determining the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately Unit is at my rental house. I will have to get back in touch when I can troubleshoot. Can you give me a run down of what to check. I will do it when I get there today or tomorrow.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Depending on model on unit if fan is controlled by a control board with relays built onto board or if replaceable relay.Follow the fan wires to see where they get power. Whether from relay or board, or a sequencer, disconnect the control wire that signals relay to close and verify we are still getting power through to motor.

To tell you exactly, I need model on unit as every unit works slightly different and uses different controls.

I a here most everyday, so you can leave the question open and come back here if you have internet access and I will be happy to guide you. step by step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok can you send responses to my email? What are your hours today and tomorrow? thanks.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

We can send responses back and forth here on the website, Also if interested we can talk on phone for an additional service fee of 18.00 if interested.I will present offer and if interested accept.If not we work here until finished.

I own and operate a heating and ac company so not sure exactly when I have to leave to assist in the field on weekdays. I am here most of the day today and will be in and out tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try later with information on Model. I will at least hear from you sometime tomorrow if I have a question?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely.I will keep check on the question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my trane heat pump model on outside unit is xe 1000 weathertron. Inside unit model is twv024b40a1. Unit fan went off when I disconnected green wire on t- stat
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK if fan went off when you disconnect thermostat wire, the issue is in thermostat.You do have it set to AUTO and not ON correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry I had fan on on setting not
Auto. I guess back where we started
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok with fan in ON position it is normal for the fan to run nonstop. It will only cycle with the heat pump when in AUTO position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when the blue light for heat goes off fan stays on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Turn the FAN selector to AUTO and see if it cycles with heat pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's was on auto the fan is now turning off but it's blows cool for a while before it turns off. Seems to be a heat and fan aren't in sequence
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Fan should run about 1 minute and a half to 2 minutes after heat pump shuts down, Is it running longer than tat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outside unit is still running and fan blowing cool and blue light is off been like this 10minutes now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still running fan air
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

So now you are saying that you are in heat mode, and outdoor unit as well as fan are running but bowing cool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just turned off after 15 minutes of fan air
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok so both indoor and outdoor stayed running blowing cold air in heat mode for 15 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was in heat mode but as soon as blue aux heat goes out that's when it's runs another 15 minutes of fan air before system turns off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's this aux heat light about
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What is model on thermostat? Aux heat should not come on when thermostat s satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
following is written on inside cover of thermostat
Blue light -auxiliary heat this light indicates auxiliary heaters are assisting the heat pump in normal system operations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model baystat 239
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a trane t stat original
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Looking for a manual. The only time aux should come on is if outdoor is in defrost or heat pump needs backup assistance to keep up.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is correct.AUX should not be coming on after thermostat temp is satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does this mean
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I would say defective thermostat. The only time aux should ever come is is :

1.requested temp is at least 5 degrees higher than room temp

2.Heat pump is in defrost mode

3.Emer heat is called for

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your first reason for coming on is when it will come on. I set temp at least 5 degrees higher than room temp so it is working properly. So without aux on I am getting cool air.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK my impression when I read the question "My heat pump heats up to set temp but fan stays on", was that unit is heating properly to room temp, but the fan kept running blowing cold.

If you are not getting warm air when outdoor unit is running but no aux, we have an issue with the heat pump.

Please verify as this is 2 complete different scenarios.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bot***** *****ne is I am cool air without aux being on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK do this for me. Turn thermostat to call for heat and feel of the large copper refrigerant line between the heat pump and indoor coil and tell me if the large copper pipe is hot to touch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not hot on large line off outside unit when in heat mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not hot in closet either
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok now is outdoor unit running and can you verify that the compressor is actually on ,not just fan in outdoor unit? (Usuallay you can hear the deeper sound of compressor)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard to tell sounds like it's on should I take off panel
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If outdoor fan is running, but the pipe (large copper line) is not hot, either the compressor is not on or we have a refrigerant issue. Do you happen to have refrigerant gauges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess your gone for now and hear from you later thanks
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sorry was on phone with a customer.Do you have gauges or can you determine if compressor is running?If outdoor fan is running, but the pipe (large copper line) is not hot, either the compressor is not on or we have a refrigerant issue. Do you happen to have refrigerant gauges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At home I will bring them tomorrow thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The air conditioner seem to work ok big line was cold
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. lets get those gauges connected and see what is happening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ready when you are
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Turn thermostat to HEAT mode and connect red hose to large service port and blue hose to small service port .Turn unit on and tell me pressures on each gauge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You online today
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes .Will be leaving for dinner in a while but won't be gone long. Are you able to hook up gauges as shown above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see what your referring to about connections. What color gies to heat pump large pipie?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Connect the blue low side gauge to the small service valve in heat mode and red high side to large service port.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Left gauge is in retard and right I think is 50 my plastic cover is gauge was at 100 before hook up 150 after hook up
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach photo of gauges and how connected? As is system on or off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know how to send left gauge is close to retard in off heat mode and stays in retard in on heat mode. Right gauge I think is broken it doesn't move in either mode
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or

You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .

Here is a link to the site.

http://tinypic.com/

Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.

They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW

You will see your picture on right side of screen.

Then copy the link URL for email & IM

Paste that link here on the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too dark do you not understand my gauge readings
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to open this to other experts who may be able to assist better.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.