Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Rick, I talked with you about an issue with my pilot on my

Customer Question

Rick, I talked with you about an issue with my pilot on my furnace about a week ago. The issue now is that when i go to light the pilot, the flame is way to big. You indicated there would be an adjustment. What I want to ask, is it the hex head next to the pilot tube. I will provide a photo if you answer back. this format im at does not allow me to answer it here.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can post a picture here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button. Give me a pic of the top of the gas valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, try that large head (combo phillps/slotted) screw just to the left of the terminals (clean those terminals up). Once you back the screw out there should be a hole with an adjustment screw inside. Insert a small screwdriver (look inside first for the screw) and turn the screw to adjust the pilot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick,

I haven't had much time to work on this. I just tried adjusting the screw as you suggested, but did not resolve my problem. Way too much gas flow (from the sound of it) coming out the tip. What else might be the cause?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I can't access your original question so I don't know what the issue was. You have to adjust the pilot while it's lit. That's the only way to gauge the proper adjustment.