Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heater furnace is not kicking on
, im literally in

Customer Question

Customer: my heater furnace is not kicking on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im literally in the attic right now and saw the light blinking 3 times, its a whirlpool funace
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I need the brand and model number of the furnace, and

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to betaken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach it here. ,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If you have an error code showing, tell me what the code read out is on the wiring diagram or a sticker next to the diagram please.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

You will need a multi meter ($30 at a hardware store) and some experience working with appliances, let me know a lot about your skill sets in those regards.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me work on that right now
I have my eletrical tester, is that good enough? The model is a Whirlpool wfat075b16-1b
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fairly good fixing skills, I just need to know what to test and I can do what you need me to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the pics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan kicks in, the thermostat works fine, it was just working yesterday then I noticed it was really cold in my house and did hear my heater kicking in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I press the safety door switch the fan kicks in, it runs for about 5 seconds then it shuts down and the red light blinks 3 times repeatedly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorrry, DIDN'T hear my heater kicking in
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

http://screencast.com/t/SgFjVmIoo

However since the fan only runs 5 seconds I suspect the printed circuit card.

Do this heat stress test on it.

Use a hair drier to slowly warm the printed circuit card up to120For a bit warmer, but not over 140F... if there is any change in the error codes or other furnace behavior... the card has a cracked micro circuit that opens and closes as the card expands and contracts... that proves a bad printed circuit card.

No change however does not prove the card is good however... but a change proves the card is definitely bad.

We can go from there as needed.