airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

American Standard Freedom 90 gas furnace has stopped working

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

good morning Lou.

let's see if I can help a little...... may require some testing though based on what your stating in your "tried so far".

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

are you online?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a multi meter for troublehooting?

You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can certainly get one - upon further and closer inspection - when I turn power on and set system on - I do hear a hum that does stop as soon as I turn power off. I believe that may have always been there - proving at least there is house power to the furnace - correct?Is a multimeter still required?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no red led indicators from control board
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is probably the transformer.yes we will need meter for troubleshooting to see where we are getting or not getting power at different locations in furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - I've got a Walmart within 5 mins of home - as you would expect - same issues with AC settings as well.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets do one thing before getting meter just to eliminate thermostat. Go to furnace and at board, jump R and W where thermostat wires connect to see if heat will come on and then R and G and see if blower will run.If not,Sounds like either an issue with the board, relay or motor, but we need to determine which.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've gotten the meter... What points of measure wil we need to test?I will not get to it tonight, but expect I can provide details tomorrow (afternoon - eastern time)I will be away all next week - luckily it's our secondary unit and it's not overly cold yet. I would like to determine what we need by cob tomorrow. That way I can order parts while I am away.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok first step is let me get complete model on furnace .It will be on a label just above burners on inside right or left panel.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Below will be our sequence

1. Check for 120v AC into tansformer.

2.Check for 24 volts AC out of transformer

3. Turn thermostat to call for FAN ON. Check for 120 volts AC to blower motor from control board at terminals

I should be around tomorrow afternoon to assist with this as you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent - I will provide model and schematic details taken from inside panels
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good,headed out to Christmas parade.Talk tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

See below for where we want to check voltage.

1.120v in to transformer

2.24v out of transformer

3.120 v to COOL and CIR-N terminals on call for fan or AC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be able to test later in the afternoon (4 ish)If it is a transformer issue - what is the complexity and general cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the values all check out - what's next - circuit/control board itself?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Issue can be transformer ,board,fan ,capacitor,etc. If all those values check out the fan is bad, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.To tell you to replace a part or exactly what is wrong with your unit without troubleshooting the situation would not be doing you justice ,would be less than professional on my end and a guess at most.

Here are some general estimated wholesale costs though for parts

Transformer 10 bucks.control board 200 bucks, blower 80 bucks capactitor 10 bucks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all of your input - I am unfortunately not able to comfortably access the control panel for the testing. There's minimal clearance tucked under the stairway. I will be calling a local technical to provide service.I did "jumper" the wires from the thermostat, disconnecting the wires from the thermostat and direct connecting the various combinations - no change....We can proceed with closing this case....
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.