Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I ran out of propane and got the tank partially refilled,

Customer Question

Customer: I ran out of propane and got the tank partially refilled, but none of my appliances will re-light. Do I have to bleed the tank outside, or something?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The pilot on the hot water heater will not relight. The furnace and the stove (which don't have pilots) will not come back on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You probably have air in the lines because you ran out of propane. It's also possible the guy who filled your tank left the shut off valve on the tank turned off. First go to your stove turn on a burner and put a lit match close to one of the burners. Is the flame distorted like something is coming out of the burner or does it just burn normally like it did away from the burner. If the match flame doesn't distort then go to the tank and check the shut off. If it does distort you need to leave the burner on until the air is forced out of the piping