Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Advantage Repair
90277609

I have an electric forced air Heil BEA1502500. It recently

Customer Question

Hello, I have an electric forced air Heil BEA1502500.
It recently started blowing medium hot air, I.e. Not as hot as it used to. Intermittently ( once in a while) blows the right amount. Fan works fine by the way. Doesn't happen often but when it does blow hot air it lasts for a good while. Tried changing batteries on the thermostat, no go.. Changed the whole thermostat.. Still the same. Opened up the furnace .. No burn signs on any wires. Limit switches look brand new. Sequencer connections look great. Continuity across all limit switches.
I don't have a clamp amp meter.. Is there a safe way to check for current draw on the elements with a multimeter?
Is it possible that an element is going intermittently?
Any suggestions, other than calling a pro just yet?
Thanks,
Paul
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 12 months ago.

you have quite a few questions and some knowledge of what might be going wrong. Honestly, I would invest in a clamp meter. You can test without a clamp meter, but you would need a high amperage multimeter, I would not suggest this to a hobbiest. I would start with things like the filter first. Is it clean? new? any restrictions to the evaporator, (if a/c is installed, dirt build up ect). Are vents in some rooms closed restricting air? Is the blower cage itself clean or has build up on the fins maybe removed some of the capacity to remove air? If you have answers to all these questions and it does not solve the problem then I would suggest bringing out a tech. I don't like to have customers testing high voltage lines not knowing what to expect.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No air conditioning. Clean filter.Guess I'm going to have call a tech.Is it OK If I ask for a refund for this Question.? How do I go about doing so?Thanks,
Paul

It's certainly ok to ask to get a refund, but honestly Paul, I think you need a tech. I'm not going to try to walk someone through testing high voltage circuits without some experience. I value life more than that. I Myself am very careful when testing high voltage.. It's not something I would put on a website!

I'm sorry, I hope you understand.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Kevin for you'd traitor answer and honesty.Now how do I go about getting my deposit back for this site? I'm sure you agree, although you were honest and gave me the best advice, it didn't really help my situation.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That was .. Straight answer. (Spell check)

my guess is that it is Not a element, but more like a limit switch is opening. Air flow is a factor as well as constant metering of each of the element circuits. to do this with a multi meter is not the easiest or safest way to do so. I recommended a service tech to check. I think that does answer your original question.

As far as getting credit, I believe you would need to contact customer support. I'm not really sure as I am an expert on Hvac and haven't had anyone who needed to go that route. I wish you well... Hope you get the resolution you will be happy with...

Kevin