Natech
Natech, HVAC/Boiler Tech
Experience:  I am a HVAC Tech and Radiant Heat Expert.
76430685

My tank water heater relief valve drips from time to time

Customer Question

My tank water heater relief valve drips from time to time and when I try to check the pressure in the expansion tank I can't do it because water shoots out of the air filler valve.Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Natech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The reason your relief valve is dripping is because your expansion tank is faulty. When water shoots out of the schrader valve, that means the bladder has ruptured. You will need to replace your expansion tank. Sometimes a relief valve that has been under duress will also be faulty. For the cost, it might be worth it to replace your relief valve while you have the water drained to replace your tank. Also, if you haven't cleaned out your water heater tank in a while, it might be a good time to do that as well. You can accomplish this by first, draining your tank, Hook up a hose to a hose bibb and your water heater drain (need adapter at end of hose female x female) and then turn on water at hose bibb with drain open, this will break up sediment at the bottom of the tank. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the service/time I have provided and are able to rate excellent. If not, please allow me to assist you further until you are completely satisfied.