HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Payne furnace model: PG9MAA about 11 years old fails to

Customer Question

Hi Payne furnace model: PG9MAA about 11 years old fails to light with code 34 then code 14. Ignitor glows orange, 3 burners light then die after a few seconds. Replaced flame sensor with a new one, but still the same issue. What is the next step?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now.

Check and clean the ground connections at the board. IF they are dirty or corroded that can happen. Then check the wiring and grounding from the flame sensor to the board. If that is all good and the flame sensor is new the board is bad and just not seeing the input from the flame sensor rod. That is common on that age of unit.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check and clean connections when I get home tonight. Do you have the board model number? Are there local HVAC supply stores in most metro areas where parts can be picked up locally? Can these boards be repaired easily? I am located in Seattle.I will accept your solution if cleaning the connections or replacing the board fixes the issue.Thanks for your help.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Just order the board from HVACUSAPARTS.com with the complete model off the unit, you can call them and get it fast.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed a new board, and have the same issue. What next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After doing some research I am wondering if I have a gas flow issue. I also have gas fireplace that barely gets hot now and seems starved for gas. How do I check and adjust and adjust gas flow? I have a tech coming in a couple days, but would prefer to solve this myself.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Well if you have a gas issue to the fireplace as well you would have a problem at the main regulator, if you are on Natural gas have the gas company come out and check it, they will do it for Free.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time.