Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a new home and the AC company wants to install 2

Customer Question

I have a new home and the AC company wants to install 2 night & day 4 Ton compressors instead of 2 Nordyne 5 ton units. The 2 air handlers are Nordyn. The AC company said the 5 ton nordynes will freeze up - they are too big for the 3400 foot Quadwide. Is this true? It sounds like they are scamming
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I need the model numbers from each of the 2 nordyne air handlers to be specific, and ideally the outside diameter of the largest copper tubes attached to the nordyne air handlers.

I also need to know where you are located so that I can assess the heat and humidity conditions, nearest city works for that.

Two 5 ton units for a 3400 sq ft quad wide is 2 or 3 tons more than the rule of thumb typical sizing, it is unlikely that a full cooling load calculation would support two ea 5 ton systems... it is also unlikely that the duct sizes built into the modules is large enough to support two 5 ton systems.

Get me the nordyne air handler model numbers, and nearest city, we can go from there.