Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I need to know where the pilot light is on my boiler the hot

Customer Question

I need to know where the pilot light is on my boiler
the hot water works but the heat isn't working. I was told to check the pilot
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will be my pleasure to assist you. If the power went out it may be necessary to turn the power off to the boiler and turn it back on to reset it. It may have been in the middle of a cycle when the power went out causing a limit to trip. The pilot would be near the burner section. and you would need to turn the gas valve to the pilot position and then hold the knob down while using a lighter or match to try and relight the pilot.

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

do you have the model and serial number of the boiler?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it is a Weil Mclain Gold that was installed in 1998. Couldn't find the model number
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

ok it probably does have a standing pilot then. it would be in the lower burner section. If you follow the silver and copper tubes from the gas valve to the pilot assembly you will find the pilot. This is where you would reignite the pilot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a little silver round cover that is on a bolt and it opens a hole? is this where it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my hot water is working but the heaters are not if that helps also
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

yes probably, you will need to gold the pilot knob on the gas valve down when igniting the pilot. Using a long candle lighter or match usually works best. Once it is lit you will have to hold the knob down till the thermocouple warms up. Is the hot water off the boiler to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is where my confusion comes in
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

is there a holding tank for the hot water which may have hot water stored in it from before the power went out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant find the pilot area or the knob u were describing. I guess I will have to call a tech to come out. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be helped I guess.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

okay no problem sorry you weren't able to get it going.