Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a trane xv95 and its blowing cold air and it looks

Customer Question

Customer: hello i have a trane xv95 and its blowing cold air and it looks like its not ingniting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well im trying to get heat and the system is blowing cold i tried to power it on and off but still blowing cold air what more should i possibly look for as far as issues?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will be my pleasure to assist you. First thin to do is check your furnace filter to be sure it is clean and clear. Next look in the lower blower door peep hole to see if there I an led light that is flashing a code. There may be a peep hole in the lower blower door for you to look through to the circuit board which may have an led that is flashing a certain number of flashes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for the quick reply I'm about to vacuum the filter now, i will also check the codes as well and get back to you
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

Once you have cleaned the filter rest the power to the furnace and see if it will fire and stay running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok did that no success seems like it wont ignite at all! at first just blinking green then after several tries to fire it blink green green red green
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

Does the ignitor glow that you can tell. If you look through the hole where the burners are the igniter should glow when trying to ignite. If you reset the power the inducer motor the small vent motor should come on then the ignitor should glow then the gas valve should click and the burners should ignite.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok let me go back down with the computer last i check didnt see any glow through the hole in the top panel let me check it out
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no glow nothing the inducer comes on no glow or light
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

Ok then the igniter is probably the issue. It will be over in the right corner in front of the burners. There is a couple screws that hold it in place under the square burner box. it has two wires going to it that plug into a plug from the furnace board. If you take it out to inspect it be very careful as it is very fragile and try not to touch the elemnt tip with your fingers. It is probably broken already but if not try not to break it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this be it
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

that looks like the gas valve.

the ignitor would be in front of the burners

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok looks like I'm going to have to pop burner door off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just looked at this my unit looks similar inside and what you asked me to do looks like i would have to take the burner door off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdmyL3ALcI
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

yes you are right you will have to take the cover off with the glass hole in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i tried that earlier but i will have to pry it open on sides ok i will try it now
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

make sure you take the 5/16 screws out of the front first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lol yes of course i already did earlier just couldn't get the rest open trying now ty
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

ok just making sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to remove nut carefully
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

yes that will be good. If you have a meter you can test the power to the igniter and ohm out the igniter itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I get it out I would need a meter to test it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

phone discussions cost more but we can continue on here if you want

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok np so once I get it out what will I be inspecting for?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

look for cracks in the black part of the igniter

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

do you have a meter to test it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I think I would need a but driver with short handle what do u recommend
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

a long extension with a 5/16 bit usually works for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it just seem like an awkward position because it's upside down is the igniter the same as flame sensor curious
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

no the flame sensor has one wire the ignter has 2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ty i haven't gotten it out yet need the ext i would have to by one also if the igniter is bad where can i buy a new one
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

you would have to buy one from a hvac supply house.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heath Located a supply house near me that has the ignitor, headed to pick it up! When i took it out carefully i couldn't find any visible cracks, there was some type of white coating on it. Well anyways i will install new one and keep you posted!! also changed out filter so it'st brand new ok ttys
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

great let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heath its working since Wednesday :-) ty it was the igniter!!!.