HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Trane model 4TEE3F4GA1000AA & the fan motor is not

Customer Question

Hi
My name is Tony & I have a Trane model 4TEE3F4GA1000AA & the fan motor is not running, but outside compressor does run. Tech was out & said It's at $1500 repair on a 12 year old unit time to buy a new A/C. Don't know if he is blowing smoke up my ass to just try & sell me a new unit. Your opinion please
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

If the compressor is actually bad then yes $1500 would be a bit high more like 1200 but that sounds about right for the repair. Given a 12 year old unit the compressor could be bad as that is very likely.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I've spoken to others & the cost of replacing the fan motor in a Trane variable speed air handler is $1200-$1500, most feel too much to spend on a 12 year old unit. I've been quoted $4600 for a 3&1/2 ton Trane 16 sier unit, but I've heard their reliability is no longer what it used to be since being bought by Ingersole Rand several years ago. Your opinion please
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I would replace the motor you can get some more years out of it and still basically a 1/3rd of the price of a new one.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

No one wants to fix anything it seems anymore just replace it as they like doing that as they make more money.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. If I do decide to go with a new 3.5 ton unit what brand would you recommend?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I would just get a Goodman great for the money, that is what I have.