Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a goodman furnace that will not ignite the inducer

Customer Question

Hi I have a goodman furnace that will not ignite the inducer turns on the gas valve opens but not glow from igniter I put a new igniter In and still nothing
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you have 120 vac to the igniter just before/while the gas valve is open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sure dont have meter
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need a meter to confirm the likely culprit here. The only other thing you can do (without a meter) is to check your connections to the igniter, at the board (disconnect and reconnect)and where it plugs in to the igniter. If it's not a bad connection then the likely culprit is a bad board and I wouldn't spring for a new board without checking the voltage first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it is either bad connection or a board i will get a meter and check are boards expensive
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Generally a few hundred more or less

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it is an old furnace from 1993 would it be worth it
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's marginal. You can expect to get 20 years out of a furnace. Beyond that it's usually on borrowed time and the repair bills will mount as the years progress. If it won't break the budget you might want to get some estimates for a new furnace then decide

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok last question so since i changed the igniter the only other problem it could be os bad connection or bad board
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you're sure the gas valve is opening. Sequence is: draft fan runs> draft pressure switch proves adequate draft> ignitor glows >gas valve opens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great i can hear the gas valve thanks for you help
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.