Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I am trying to incorporate a tankless water heater to a

Customer Question

I am trying to incorporate a tankless water heater to a solar system. I have one solar tank with an interior coils being used by the solar system. what I want to do is take the water in tank and recirculate through a tankless. My questions are. If I need 140dg water at main tankd how will tankless do it. I hear one can only put in no more then 100dg water. Can any one help me if possible with style of tankless and possibly a schematic of the set up
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What type of tankless? gas? in a boiler? do you have the tankless now? if not how do you currently heat water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just have the solar system. I am now needing to incorporate something that works in propane to substantiate the heat. I would like to be a tankless. is it possible.It kind of needs to be a closed loop system

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Is this for DHW or space heating? what do you currently have for back up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK What I have is a solar system.It does Domestic Hot water and heating. I have no back up . I want my back up to be a tankless hot water system. Now I am in HVAC business myself. I was looking for some one there that has actully done this. Or tell me that its not possible

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What type of radiation do you have in the heating system? what is space heating water design temp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its a coil in furnace.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok so no system design temp you're just using the excess heat from the solar to supplement/override furnace (gas?) operation? Sorry about all the questions but I need this info to make a recommendation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only problem is that you are asking me the wrong questions as I said I am a heating contractor too. All I want to know is if I can use a tankless hotwater tank like a Bosch to heat water in solar. tanks to about 140dg. If so can you recommend a piping diagram. See in my mind I need a tankless hot water that can take in at least 140dg water. I dont know of any tankless other then a boiler

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You may think they're the wrong questions but unless I have a complete picture of what you're trying to do I can't make an informed recommendation. That said if all you want to know is; are there any tankless water heaters that will tolerate inlet water higher than 140 the answer is no. Since you mention Bosch I assume you've looked at the specs and at their piping diagram for a DHW & space heating system. Personally I'd never use a water heater for space heating whatever the config. You may have noticed that the warranty drops way off if you use a Bosch (or any tankless) for space heating. While water heaters are used for space heating it's usually a cheap way out for a spec builder. They don't last when used in this type of application

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is what I wanted to know. thanks

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome