BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I moved into a n older house last year. It has an aprilaire

Customer Question

I moved into a n older house last year. It has an aprilaire 760 whole house humidifier. However, the humidifier runs independent of the blower fan, so it seems like it is wired wrong. Red and black wires come from the humidostat and join with the two brown wires on the humidifier (blue and green dont connect to anything. Coming from the humidifier (heading to the furnace) are two wires - white and black. They are wire nutted to white and black wired that look like ther are coming from the wall switch mounted to the side of the furnace (main power switch)?
In my last house we had the humidifier wired to the small panel inside the furnace. Is it possible to do that with this one? My current furnace is a Bryant plus90i?
Thanks.
Alex
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

they are wired direct to humidistat and the humidisitat is acting as a light switch ....whenever it calls for humidity it runs whether furnace is running or not.

You could break the HUM relay on the circuit board with a relay....you could install a air switch in duct....you caould also run the hot black off EAC terminal on the circuit board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i think I like the last option. There is no EAC terminal though. I have W2, com24v, w/w1, y/y2, r, g, hum.Also,how do I know if its the correct voltage? I read that I might need some type of transformer to knock the voltage down??
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Most every Bryant/Carrier I have seen has a EAC terminal over by the blower terminals.

When yu say black and white to switch box area I am assuming you have the 760 with the fan inside that blows within the humidifier itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan is inside the 760 unit. Can I run the black wire the the HUM terminal?? Is that for a humidifier? not sure where the blower terminals are
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

The HUM on a Bryant/Carrier is 24v...and you already have 24v n your unit.

The unit gets main power from black and white (120v),,this powers it own transformer inside..so the 2 yellow wires you see ar 24v and just need to be connected.

EAC would near HEAT, COOL, PARK...EAC = Electric air cleaner and puts out 120v whenever blower runs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i connect the black wire coming from the humidifier to the HUM terminal, will that work (or will I now prevent the humidistat from getting the 120 it needs? Sorry but I'm confused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont see a board for the blower . . ..
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

The black wire from humidifier needs 120v.

That is the only power this unit needs supplied.

The black wire needs to be hooked to 120v.

The 2 yellow wire (or brown) from the unit already carry 24v so we cannot put them on HUM as 24 v is already there.

What is the model number of the furnace?....or post pic of the circuit board and I will tell you where to attach

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a white and a black wire coming off the main board. they have a tag that says "electronic air cleaner connection" (see attached picture) can I attach my black and white wires coming from the humidifier to those (will they give the needed 120v and be properly switched)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me??
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I apologize..lost connection..let me check pic

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

yes you are correct. This way the humidifer only gets power during blower operation..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok nevermind
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

did you get the last response? That is exactly where I said to install...EAC...black yo black and white to white