Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 8 year old castile insert that either fills too

Customer Question

I have a 8 year old castile insert that either fills too little pellets to start the seguence or too much that either smothers the ignited fire or the stove overheats with too many pellets. Last year my technician thought it was the exhaust blower and replaced it. That was not the problem. I am thinking it is the control box that needs replacing. The stove has been kept clean so that is not the problem. What do you think?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

The control box is as good a guess as any. However I suspect a problem with the pellets being used, have you tried several other brands of pellets, and are you making sure they are fresh dry. Older pellets absorb moisture, swell up, and then do not feed well.

Let me know about all that, we can go from there.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same pellets and storage that I have used in the 8 years I have had the stove. I doubt it is the pellets. Never had this problem before.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

It is possible the pellet mfgr has changed the manufacturing process or that the latest batch of pellets had been stored improperly or too long and now have a higher moisture content, and slightly larger diameter.. or that the wood mix in that batch of pellets has changed.

For a test only, and in order to educate ourselves on that possibility, lets just try another brand of pellets and see if it is actually a factor, or not. That will be a lot cheaper than changing components.

Let me know if that sounds like a good idea to you or not... we can go from there without a time limit.