HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a DV360RN, it's about 10-12 years old. Just recently

Customer Question

I have a DV360RN, it's about 10-12 years old. Just recently the switch on the wall stopped working. The pilot lights just fine, but nothing happens when I flip the switch on the wall. So basically, I do not know how to get the fireplace to light anymore.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

The valve could be bad on the fireplace or the switch could be bad, can you get at the valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can open the panel on the bottom and get to the igniter and whatever else is under the unit.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK get at the valve and jumper the TH and TP terminals together with a wire or paperclip does the unit light up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that. No it does not do anything.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK then it is either the thermopile or the valve is bad. The thermopile has to generate about 500 millivolts or the valve will not open you can test that will a meter to see or change it out. If that does not solve it replace the valve.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I test the Millivolts on the thermopile? Which screws or wires do I touch the meter to?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Test across the White and REd wires to the valve for at least 350+ millivolts.