Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Phil my name is ***** ***** and i'm having an issue with my

Customer Question

Customer: Hello Phil my name is ***** ***** and i'm having an issue with my furnace
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well, it seems to have stopped coming on automatically, and when i remove the blower panel and push the safety buton nothing happens. when i release the button i hear a click coming from the circut board. After pressing the buttons repeatedly a few times quick the furnace will kick on but top one comes on for a few seconds then shuts off. the bootom seems to run for about a minute longer until it finally shuts off as well
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I need the brand and model number of the furnace, that is on a tag inside the burner compartment.

About how old is the system. and what problems are you having.

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to betaken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach it here. ,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

You will need a multi meter ($30 at a hardware store) and some experience working with appliances, let me know a lot about your skill sets in those regards.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand i am unsure, the label reads inter-city products, and has a big GAMA logo, but the circuit board is Honeywell. The Model is NTC5150BKE1. I have no idea how old the system is, though i have owned the house for 3.5 years and it was dusty then. The Problem is it won't come on by itself, when i remove the lower panel and press the safety switch to start it there is a click from the circuit board when i release. If i press the switch repeatedly after a random amount of times it does kick on but the top only stays on a few seconds, not long enough for the igniter to heat, while the bottom blower continues to run for about a minute.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

If that is the door switch that you are having to press a random number of times... press it in and hold it in until the furnace is running for a minute or so, then tape it closed so the furnace keeps running...

If its not the door switch, can describe the switch and take a picture of it from about 5 feet away so I know what switch it is.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the well focused diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the door switch, but if i press and hold it nothing happens. It was kicking on after pressing and holding it for a few seconds the but only after i tried a few times. Now i have to "pump" it until the motor kicks on then hold it, but it doesn't stay on as I mentioned previously.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

Either there are defective contacts in the door switch, or bad wire connections at the door switch (10% chance)... or there is some sort of electronics anomally causing the problem (80% chance)

Lets do a heat stress test on the printed circuit card.

Use a hair drier to slowly warm the printed circuit card up to120F or a bit warmer, but not over 140F... if there is any change inthe error codes or other furnace behavior... the card has a cracked micro circuit that opens and closes as the card expands and contracts... that proves a bad printed circuit card.

No change however does not prove the card is good however... but a change proves the card is definitely bad.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change in operation after heat stress test. I also captured a video of what my furnace is doing (or rather isn't doing) and uploaded it to youtube, here is a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfp-ZtZmGf8
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the video.

Try replugging all of the connections on the printed circuit board and on the gas valve.. feel for any that were slightly loose... repeat the process with the door switch then wiggle each of the wires attached to the board very gingerly, one wire at a time as the furnace is running... to see if you can get the furnace to go off as you touch any particular wire.

If you locate a wire that when wiggled causes the furnace to go off, repeat the test with that particular wire to some experience with it.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found no loose wiring and the bottom blower continued to run as i wiggled each one. No change in operation.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

http://screencast.com/t/dGZDtBRRqMh

If you get the furnace fixed you should still have it checked to be sure it is safe by a licensed gas appliance technician.

Never leave any jumpers in place longer than it takes to complete a test of course... those are *safety devices as you no doubt realize.

If you rate my assistance so far positively I will hold the question open for any extended coaching you might need. If you do not rate, I work at my own expense, when that happens I have to limit the time I spend with my customer.