Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a goodman dependable 92 that won't turn on at all as

Customer Question

I have a goodman dependable 92 that won't turn on at all as of this morning when I moved the thermostat. It acts like it's not getting power at all. I put in a brand new programable thermostat and still nothing. Fan won't come on even on Fan setting. Igniters don't respond to thermostat. I know the unit is getting power which come into a black box humidity controller I think.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm gonna try to help you out. If you take a look inside the furnace where the controls are, is there a flat fuse either on the board or in line with the transformer? Do you have a volt meter to make a couple checks? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got your message and I will check for one tomorrow. I didn't turn off the power when I moved the control wires for the thermostat. I was thinking (in 20/20 hindsight of course) those wires touching might have tripped a safety switch or blown a fuse. If this sounds plausible to you as to why the unit acts like it's isn't getting any switch on to either the fan or the ignition then I hope the fuse is the problem. Otherwise I will have to suspect the control board. This furnace is only 8 years old and the air conditioning stopped getting cold 2 years ago but we don't have much need for air conditioning here so I never fixed it.
I have heard that I can jumper the red and white connections just to see if the unit will switch on independent of the thermostat. If this fuse is blown then I assume it will not work at all.My stepfather was a HVAC and appliance repairman so I learned a few thingshots about troubleshooting over the years like how to use a volt meter. Wish I could find a manual.
Thanks for now. I will check back with you either way.

OK. Let me know. If no fuse is present I will help walk you through with checking the transformer and board. It is very plausible changing a thermostat while the system is hot would cause this. I've done this myself. Normally there is a fuse in the the control circuit of most furnaces. I can get you a manual if you provide me with your exact model number. Thanks.