Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Does the Rheem model xr90, like some other gher tech

Customer Question

Does the Rheem model xr90, like some other higher tech heaters, absolutely need to avoid a 90 degree turn in its vent pipe? I've heard horror stories from some people of back pressure forcing shut downs on some models but not this one. In my case it's less than six feet to vent out to the chimney, but almost impossible to avoid one 90 degree turn. If so, would a 4 inch rather than a three inch make it acceptable? Before telling me to check the code, please take let me know what the code would require?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You you can use long radius 90's or put 2 45's together. The code says you must follow the manufacturer's instructions and I know of no prohibition for using 90's for Rheem furnaces. There are limitations on the length of the run and each fitting adds to that effective length of the run. I'd need the actual model number of your unit (XR90 is the series) to pull up your install instructions.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm logging off for the night. If you don't have any more questions I'd appreciate a favorable rating. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning.