Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I bought a recon model MD30TBU dual gas heater from Factory

Customer Question

I bought a recon model MD30TBU dual gas heater from Factory Direct. Read all directions and safety. Tried to light and it won't. It doesn't appear to be getting gas to unit. Checked everything to make sure gas was available. Still won't light. Kids are cold, please help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Is the gas line new as well, how long is it...has it been purged of air or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas supply hose is new, it's 48 inches long. Air bleed per directions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this what I get for $28, you asking me a question then no reply?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I go to lunch occasionally so am late picking up... there are not time limits with me, days, weeks or months until you get your question answered.

If the new gas line is only 28 Inches long its not the problem.

Please attach a picture of the automatic gas valve that has 2 large pipes connected, and on small 1/4" aluminum tube and probably 2 wires.

Use the paper clip icon at the top left of your tool bar.

We can go from there, however I do have a dental appointment in an hour and might be an hour late responding again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you received pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for my rudeness. I'm not normally rude, I'm just extremely frustrated with this heater and the poor customer service I received from the seller. Hope your dentist appointment went well.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I need a root canal and an extraction. Here in Antigua though the cost will be only 10 or 20% of US prices.

That valve should have a knob on it somewhere that says ON-OFF and Pilot..I did not see it in the pictures. See if you can find it.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the only on/off pilot, I can find
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Turn the knob to the 'pilot' position then follow the lighting instructions to the left of the igniter button.

That picture is a bit too fuzzy and dark to read, can you try again with much better light, take it a bit closer, and in good focus... I can coach you more accurately that way.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have several other heaters, they all light the same way. This new one just won't. We rechecked the gas connection to make sure it was on the NG not LP. It just doesn't seem to be getting gas to pilot.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

You might be best off getting a warranty replacement. Tell the retailer about it, see what they will do for you, maybe they will send a technician out.

You can also loosen the 1/4" aluminum gas line that serves the pilot light light and then use a soap bubble type leak detector to see if there is gas pressure there. If you have gas pressure, then either the piezo electric igniter is not working or the human hair size orifice in the pilot light is obstructed...

I can't advise you to try to light it with a match, but that is what most qualified gas appliance service people would do.

Let me know what you discover, we can go from there.