BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a problem with my Carrier Model #58ssb095-dc Repair

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Carrier Model #58ssb095-dc Repair says it needs a gas control valve that is no longer available. That part # ***** ***** Says he can find 'aftermarket' control valve but will also have to replace the control board ? It's about 30 years old.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't received the quote yet for the aftermarket gas control valve nor the control board but I suspect the next step will be "or I can replace the entire unit for just a few hundred more."
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

If this is the 3 wire pilot system that has a spark pilot with green, yellow and white...the valve is available. It has been upgraded but operation is identical. And you do not need a new board I am wondering if the tech is up to speed on this type furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appears to be a four-wire system with green, white, blue, brown.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

are those the wires going to the pilot? Or the gas valve? It sounds like the gas valve wiring you describe. The pilot should have 3 wires as mentioned

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I described the 4 wires going to the gas control valve. There are three (white, yellow, green) going to the pilot BUT the pilot works but it doesn't light the furnace. The tech says the control valve is bad.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

are you willing to do a hands on test? Or are you not comfortable with that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not if it involves gas ?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Here is the summary.

This pilot can be the cause the gas valve does not work, but I will assume he tested it correctly.

The gas valve is available HERE

as well as other places online.

The gas valve can be changed without changing the board. It may be that the tech does not know exactly what the issue is and wants to replace both.

But as far as your question the valve can be changed without changing the board.

Aprox $450 job

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't look anything like the present one but I'll discuss with the tech. Thanks....
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thats why I said it is different in appearance, but it still has the exact operation and terminals and is the direct changeout for you valve...the only difference is yours is 5 terminals all in a row