Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Rick need your expert opinion on which HVAC is more durable,

Customer Question

Hey Rick need your expert opinion on which HVAC is more durable, better quality parts, good warranty, less downtime from the following brands:
Amana
Rheem
Carrier
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Amana first, Rheem and Carrier a tie, but an edge to Rheem for using off the shelf parts.

Other factors depend on which climate zone you are in, and which specific model of each brand you choose.

Tell me if your goal is lowest cost and most reliable?

OR ...Quietest, and most efficient, but 40% more cost... and better in high humid climates.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im located in NJ. My goal is to have a unit which will last and be efficient.

What makes Amana first?

How much can I expect to save going from a 80% to a 95% furnace?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

The superior warranty, price and reputation make Amana first in my book. Both the Carrier and Rheem dealers would argue that however... the installation is most critical part of a decision what equipment to buy.

You can save 20% or more on fuel on a 95% furnace... it is my view and experience however that you will spend much of that savings on repairs that the more efficient furnaces require.

These issues however pale in relation to the climate zone you are in, and what your air conditioning needs are. Buying a furnace without considering the air conditioning system needs is like buying tires for a car before you know what car you will buy.

This is why I need to know what climate zone you are in (nearest city).. and IF you want air conditioning attached to the furnace or not.

Let me know, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live in the state of New Jersey and yes I want to get a split system 2 zone furnace heat and electric ac system.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, we have several options in that range. Tell me please about the house, now old is it, one or two story? Basement? Construction type. What is the construction type and square footage.

Is there a furnace and ductwork already installed? or is this a complete new system.

If you want to hold 72F on the hottest days of the year, no matter what you will pay about twice as much for the system and its operation, than if you will settle for 72F indoor temperatures 90% of the time, and excursions for a few hours a year to 78F.

Take your time, and let me know about all those details and will give you an overview of what might be your best option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a commercial building used as office space one story. It is about 4500sqft. It is constructed with cinder blocks and the duct work is already in place. This will be a replacement of the units.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Amana is a Goodman brand... in the larger sizes Goodman is the most economical choice... for a commercial building I would go with Goodman equipment, it will cost less than anything else on the market by a wide margin, it uses off the shelf parts... and is easy to service.

If you want to spend about 30% more get a quote from a Carrier dealer, or a Trane Dealer.

A system large enough for 4.500 sq feet requires some applications engineering, I can submit an additional services offer for that, or, you can ask for bids from the local contractors.. they will include the applications engineering in their estimates.

Tell them that you want the 'builders model' in equipment. A building that size in your area will require about 10 tons of cooling capacity if it does not have a lot of south and west facing unshaded glass. (120,000 btu's per hour)....get offers on two 5 ton systems, and on one 10 ton system.

Deal with the best established and lowest priced HVAC contractor in the area.

That sort of equipment will be the most rugged, lowest cost, equipment on the market.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. I will gladly review the quotes you get.