Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I need to install vent pipe pellet stove. The house is a

Customer Question

I need to install vent pipe for a pellet stove. The house is a moble on a full concrete basement. The pellet stove is going in the basement. I plan on going up and out where the moble sits on the foundation. I was reading some of the formulas for piping
and just need to know what would work and what wouldn't. How high off the ground does the final vent need to be. I can provide pictures and drawings.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Do you plan on sidewall venting this (vent terminates outside the wall) or do you plan to go out then up above the roof?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Side wall venting
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The code requirement is that the vent must terminate at least 1' above the average expected snowfall for your area. This level is predetermined by local code enforcement. You can snorkel (2 90 elbow offset) to raise it higher if necessary.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It also can't terminate within 4' of any opening in the building.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was reading in a formula for venting that you cannot have a horizontal run more than 10 ft. And 2 90° angles count for 5 ft each total of ten so if i need to add length between the 90° it would not be to code. I want to vent it above the roof because that would be ideal but if i have to vent straight out that would be fine too. I live in northern nevada. We get snow, not alot but we do get snow
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You assessment is not correct. Snorkeling doesn't add to the horizontal run and you don't count the 2nd 90. You have to follow the manufacturer's installation guidelines. Some manufacturers want a 3' rise outdoors to create some natural draft. There may be similarities but the instructions are the last word on how to install it. Until you decide on a stove there's no way to pin this down. What I gave you is standard practice and is code compliant. You need to check with your local code authority about the snow depth number they use. At a minimum you vent termination must be 1' above the ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a stove. It is an older model
Breckwell. I have the instalation instructions. I can take a picture if the them when i get home.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't need a picture of the instructions. If you have specific questions in relation to your installation then let me know.