HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My echelon 9 won't heat. the repairman just replaced the

Customer Question

hi, my coleman echelon 9 won't heat. the repairman just replaced the inducer motor, and now it won't heat! I tried the autopilot, turning off the gas for 5 mins, then on. still nothing.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Does the induce motor come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the inducer comes on, then the fan comes on,blowing very cold air (the house is cold) continuously. There's a window to view the flame or pilot and/or little lights, we think, and we never saw any flame... I'm wondering if the tech put the furnace into a test mode and left it? maybe? it worked beautifully before the tech came.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a coleman echelon 9.c series furnace
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

What are the lights flashing on the board when it fails and can you see if the ignitor has power to it when the inducer fan runs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without a call to heat, the top BIG light flashes green, and a tiny strobing green light below. Now we will do a call for heat. after the call for heat, two yellow flashes from the upper big light, over and over, and the lower tiny strobing green like before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after a minute, the big light is flashing red, with a large green light below it that remains on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
interestingly, the inducer motor did NOT come on immediately when the furnace was plugged in.. after the tech left yesterday the new inducer motor would NEVER turn off and the FAN would never turn off.
Happily that seems to have stopped. However, still upper big red lamp flashing, lower big green on solid. no heat yet. all fans going strong.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

What error code is flashing, match the error up with the list on the backside of the furnace panel there should be a list

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the steady red, we have a possibility of 12 problems. For the flashing green, it says "factory speed-up mode". There are two different lights, and we don't know if this list applies to them both?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

There should be a flash pattern to count for the code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it was in lock-out mode, how would we get it out of that? Since the furnace worked beautifully before the tech came to replace the inducer motor, I'm guessing it's something that locked up, or got reset...
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Shut the power off to the unit for 5 full minutes and turn it back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, we've pulled out the plug.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we took off the lower door to see if there were any error codes down there. do we have to put it back on, or can it work with that lower door off? We took off the upper door, but our finger's on the door sensor, so it's oblivious on that one.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Put the door back on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of them?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Just the lower one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we're plugging it back in, and a red light went to flashing yellow (top)
lower is strobing green...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could text you a photo if you like?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

DOes it match any error code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the big fan started off, and it is flashing red 5 times. we have to check the bottom door again to see what 5 flashes means!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, 5 flashing red lights means: rollout switch or blocked condensate switch is open.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok check the rollout sensors around the burner housing one may be tripped and then check and see if anything on the condensate lines are blocked. I will be back in a bit I have to go to a dinner party

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we dont know what you mean... dinner party???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't really working. what is a burnout sensor? how do we know if it is tripped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anyway, feel free to contact me when/if you want to pursue this. I'm going to turn on the portable electric heater I've got. While I hope we can get this running, your suggestions of checking rollout sensors for being tripped makes no sense and you'll have to describe what you're talking about. I'm not an HVAC person. I'm a 65-yr-old woman with a faulty furnace.