Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heat won't actually come on. I 't know if I have to

Customer Question

My heat won't actually come on. I don't know if I have to program the thermostat or not. The one in the upper level of the house works just fine. They are both the same Honeywell. Do the batteries make a difference for it to work? Also it sounds like it "wants" to turn on, but then doesn't. Help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have 2 separate heating units and two separate thermostats?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm pretty sure. I'm a renter here and the land lord is out of town. The unit that seems tobe not working is directly behind the thermostat. I remember AC worked in the summer and she did tell me the are two units for that.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

am going to have to leave shortly so I am opening this to other experts.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I see know one has assisted you.Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK lets start at the beginning.Most heating and air conditioning questions require some diagnosing of the specific situation.Very few are one line asnwers .To be professional and provide you with an accurate answer may require me gathering some details such as model number on units and specifics on the issue at hand.To tell you to replace a part or exactly what is wrong with your unit without knowing this information would not be doing you justice ,would be less than professional on my end and a guess at most.Please provide information I ask for so that I can provide accurate answers to your specific equipment and situation.

Let me first get model on the furnace or air handler that is not working and then model on thermostat.Tell me exactly what is displayed on thermostat if digital and what if anything happens when you call for heat.