BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I'm ***** *****, working on gas fireplace I'm a master

Customer Question

Customer: hi i'm ***** *****, working on gas fireplace I'm a master electrician and controls tech but not experienced with these units. it is a Dexen IPI system Pilot lights fine and does not keep sparking, so I think the fire recognition is fine. but main burner not light so I suspect either the module or valve
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: main burner not light pilot lights right up and does not keep sparking
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait well worth it if you help me troubleshoot and lead me to the fix
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked grounding to module and valve all looks good. Cleaned the Pilot flame recognition module. Checked for 3v at module, it goes from 3v to 2.8 when turned on. Pilot light right up, good flame and does NOT keep sparking so this according to manual indicates the flame recognition is ok. Yet the main burner does not light. I have not checked for voltage from module to valve (green wire) ... I will do this next. Not sure but I guess the valve needs 3v for solenoid to pull in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More Testing Data: Check with Vmeter Grnd to Red Pwr = 3.8vdc OK, after turning ON and drops to 2.8v? Pilot terminal on valve (org) after on has .5v on and pilot is lit fine, valve main (grn) terminal has 1.4v on it after unit is ON ?
Checked with wire off Valve main solenoid termnal (green wire goes here) to ground and see 60 ohms, so solenoid is OK?
I wonder why I see voltage drop on module when on from 3.8v to 2.8v and ONLY see 1.4 v going to valve main terminal ?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

is this the thermopile version and if so what is the output (millivolts) of the thermopile?