airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Ruud Silhoutte II will not ignite

Customer Question

Ruud Silhoutte II will not ignite
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If furnace is not coming on, there should be an error light flashing on the control board in blower compartment to indicate what has failed. If you can locate this and tell me the pattern of the flash, that will point us in the right direction for troubleshooting.

Also let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.WE will go from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FAN CYCLES BUT NEVER IGNITES BOARD HAS GREEN POWER AND GREEN OK LIGHT
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

When t fails the OK light should give us aflash code such as 2 blink pause, or3 bilnk pause. Does it not do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN I CYCLE THE POWER IT COMES ON AND STAYS ON NO FLASHING
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK does the inducer motor start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which one is that?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am referring to the small vent motor where vent leaves furnace.Tell me how far in sequence it goes.

The normal sequence of operation:

Inducer vent motor comes on

Pressure switch closes

Igniter lights

Burners ignite

Main circulating blower comes on

If furnaces fails anywhere in the sequence we should get an error code by blinking lights on the control board. Turn power off and back on, then call for heat.tell me how far in that sequence it goes and what error code is on first failure We will go from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Standing by

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inducer fan comes on. both light green and steady
3-10 seconds later something clicks... "ok" light shuts off 1-2 seconds then steady green
clicks again. both light stay green
10 secs later main blower kicks in no error flases
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK Rheem used 2 different igniters on these units. One is a spark and the other is hot surface. If you have hot surface, look closely to see if it may be burned or broken.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

May have to remove or get a flashlight to check it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the spark ignitor
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok f you have the spark, take a piece of sandcloth and clean both sides al well and lets see if we can get a spark and ignition

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tips looked good cleaned them and got same result
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok we really should be getting an error code if pressures switch is not closing. Does the lick sound like it is coming from the little cylindarical switch with rubber hose from inducer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just held it during the intire cycle does not appear to be thesourse one click isin the lower half second click felt like gasd valve
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Does igniter spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK do this if you are comfortable doing so. remove the igniter from burner area, Leave attached to board. Hold the end of igniter (Using an insulated set of pliers)near a metals grounded screw and try heat to see if we get a spark. (Like you would test a lawnmower or car to see if getting fire)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing never tried to spark
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK unplug the orange wire from board and make sure it is making good connection on the little spark wire where it plugs to board. If you have a continuity meter, check the wire for continuity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all good
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets try one more thing. Remove the rubber hose from inducer. Leave attached to pressure switch.Allow inducer to start, then suck on hose and see if you hear pressure switch close and get spark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hear the switch click but still no spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to say board is defective. As soon as pressure switch closes, board should signal spark