airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Rheem mod.# rgla 100A-AR. The pilot lite is lit and

Customer Question

I have a Rheem mod.# ***** 100A-AR. The pilot lite is lit and when I turn the thermostat up the fan goes on but the burners do not lite.Can you help me
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi meter
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Excellent.Lets start with the most simple and go from there. First make sure the gas is on to furnace and the little lever on gas valve is in ON position.(I know it sounds elementary, but not unusual to be overlooked)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the gas is on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. Now lets turn thermostat to call for heat and check at gas valve to see if we are getting 24v ac to the valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not by the funance right now can I call you in about three hours
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely.Just come back to question when ready to continue.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If we are getting 24v to valve issue is going to be with gas pressure or the valve itself.If not we will go from here by checking to see if maybe there is a limit open keeping valve from getting signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting 25.4v to the valve Gas pressure seems to be ok. I took the valve off and checked for obstruction or dirt everything seems clean and normal .Do you think I need a new valve ?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If gas pressure is ok to valve, then valve is bad and yes will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the valve and I still can't get the burners to lite.went to the hardware store and bought a new thermostat and 4 feet of wire ,disconnected the old thermostat at the transformer and the valve,replaced with new thermo still can't get the burners to lite. I'm getting voltage to the valve, also after I changed the valve the fan ran for a while shut off and hasn't come on since
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Have you cleaned the burners ?And do you hear or smell and gas when valve gets the 24 volts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only time I heard gas was when I lit the pilot,after that nothing. The pilot stays lit and the furnace is not a dirty furnace burners look pretty clean
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Next step will be to verify inlet gas pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You will need either a gas pressure tester or a manometer that reads in water column, There is an inlet and outlet hex screw test port.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she lives 20 miles away in rural Colorado I'll pick-up a tester and try tomorrow. thanks
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.If natural gas we should have about 5" to 7.5"WC in and 3.5"WC out of valve. If LP you should have 11.5 to 14"WC in and 10 to 11"WC out.