Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Have a Baxi boiler 380. Every time we turn the power on both

Customer Question

have a Baxi boiler 380. Every time we turn the power on both fuses blow. Can you help us?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Follow the wires from the gas valve, and to the combustion blower and pump... unplug them one at a time until you find which one, when unplugged does not blow the fuses.

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is plugged into the control board. Do you know the Baxi 380 in particular?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, before I retired I was a licensed boiler contractor in in California and worked with literally thousands of boilers... however, that was still less than 1% of all boilers... over a 50 year period. Even then I relied on manuals for much of what I did... and I still rely on manuals today.

That is true in this case as well, it is something like flat tires, you do not need experience on each tire size and type to diagnose it as a flat tire, then you inspect, and sure enough its a nail in the tire for instance.

Same here, so far I have pulled the manual on your boiler, because you left out the full model number and age if the boiler. So I opened with a trouble shooting tactic that works every time on any system at all with a similar problem.... even in your case if there is no pump or fan wired directly to your printed circuit card.

By unplugging one circuit at a time, you can determine which has the short.

That works every time, because it is a basic ground floor level approach. So far here on just answer my ratings score is 98.8% successful. Let me know if you would like to continue with me on that basis or not, if you do, get me the full model number and age of your baxi boiler.

If not I can opt out, what ever you wish

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am opting out. What you told me is a basic approach, but this is a boiler where we can't do that. I know it seems weird, but
that is what we have. I have a plumber here that also works on boilers, but he doesn't know this one and he say that what you
suggest won't work here. Thanks,
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me know. However this would be a first in my experience. Dead shorts are among the easiest problems to diagnose... I am surprised that he couldn't find it.

Plumbers however are not electricians for the most part, perhaps that explains it.