BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Honeywell thermostat (TH63320 WF, I believe- the

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell thermostat (TH63320 WF, I believe- the print is small!) which has worked fine until recently. After a power outage the thermostat lost its wi-fi connection. When I finally reestablished that, there were only Cool and Off System options. My heat (which I need because I am in WI- with 10" of snow) is no longer there.
I had someone test the furnace by bypassing the thermostat an it worked, so he said to tell you that. This morning an electrician checked that all the wires are properly and firmly installed (they are.) So... how do I get the heat option back so that my furnace communicates with the thermostat? It is in the low 50's inside, and getting colder. Thank you. Terry
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

to get heat going for temporary..are you able to remove the top portion of thermostat to where we can see the wires?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

excellent.

If you need heat cross the red and white wires...this turns on the furnace...however it will not shut off until the wires are taken apart.

Now the bad news. This thermostat is not field repairable. It has been compromised during the power outage and is no longer operational. I apologize but these are just not repairable.

You will need to get a new thermostat...and then follow the same wiring...

red to r

white to w

yellow to y

green to g

I would love to be able to reboot your existing thermostat, but it is not possible.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i should just head to the hardware store, buy a new one and install it, huh? Do I need to hire an electrician? Or, following the colors (with power off, I assume) can I do it myself? (zero experience- just to be clear)
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you got it...power off to furnace...swap wire for wire...and you good to go.

If you hit a snag just pop back in here.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just did something I saw in a YouTube video and the heat option came back!! WOO HOO! (Do I really owe you $30+ dollars?)
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

nope...usually once it has a power issue it is gone.

I will just close

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm glad this one time you were wrong! ;-) Thank you, Billy