Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

I have a look insert. it's about 4 years old. my

Customer Question

I have a look wood insert. it's about 4 years old. my question is with the fan operation. it takes about an hour for the fan to turn on used to take like 15 min and I was hoping to get detailed instructions on how to pull them apart and clean them because
they are load as well? what controls them from turning on and off
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it's a lopi wood insert
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

do you have the low profile blower with the thermodisc switch? Do you have a manual switch available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a manual switch that adjusts the blower speed from off up to high I am not sure about what type blower I have how would I determine that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it's a lopi declaration I will attach a photo where you can see the fans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happened? did you give up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is this closed out I never got an answer I did find out the model and it's called a lopi declaration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Susan Latta replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I might be able to assist you with some ideas on what you can do here. I'm assuming that you are talking about your fireplace insert that burns wood? You should be able to pull off one of the grills on the stove to get to the motor of the blower to clean it up. It is somehow controlled by a thermostat in the blower. The temperature of the burning wood is what turns the blower on, so are you doing anything differently this year from last year and therefore it's not getting hot as fast:

1) Maybe your wood is too green this year? This would cause the wood to burn slower and it won't be as hot a fire. You shouldn't be burning any wood that hasn't been seasoned for at least 1 to 2 years. Or is your wood overly dry (old)? Here's a good article that describes seasoning your wood: http://www.wikihow.com/Season-Firewood

2) Are you leaving the damper open to build up the heat of the fire, or has it been closed and you didn't notice it? The damper needs to remain open until you get a really good hot fire going.

3) Or it's possible that the switch on the blower is beginning to wear out and will need to be replaced soon?

I would check the first 2 suggestions first and see if that does the trick. If the blower is too loud, it may be time for a new blower too. But first you need to find it and it will probably be at the bottom of the unit.

I hope one of these ideas work for you. Let me know!

If you feel I addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

By providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.