Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Got a brand new HD 45 with a 4 blink fault code. Ignition

Customer Question

got a brand new HD 45 with a 4 blink fault code. Ignition lights, then goes out soon afterwards
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

This sounds like a flame sensing problem. What does the decal on your unit say a 4 blink error indicates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says roll out switches
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Check all your connections on the board and at the rollouts. Will the unit fire up again without resetting the rollouts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wrong, it says "ignition lock-out" for 4 flashes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it will lit and go out 4-5 times, then shut off completely with the 4 light flash sequence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
light
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that 's what I thought. Check the connections on the flame sensor and be sure the flame sensor is positioned in the burner flame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, should it be centered in the flame stream? To me, it looked like the flame was hitting it
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

As long as it's engulfed by the flame it's ok. More likely a loose connection since you don't have a lot of wiggle room positioning the sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new unit and the slide on clip for that connection seems very tight. I had it off and back on. I have an ohm meter, it there a way to check it?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need a meter that can read micro amps to check the output from the sensor. You also need to check the other end of the lead where it connects to the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, is there a micro-amp figure I am loolking for?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You should see 3 to 5 micro amps. If the connections are good and the sensor is engulfed by the flame check if the ceramic insulator has any crack in it. If everything checks out you could have a defective board. You should call Modine tomorrow if everything checks out 1.***-***-****

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There isn't much more I can add. I'm logging off for the night. If you don't have any more questions I'd appreciate a favorable rating. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have more questions?