airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW HEAT UMP BY GOODMAN MODEL GSZ130361BD

Customer Question

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW HEAT UMP BY GOODMAN MODEL GSZ130361BD AND MY ELECTRIC BILLS WENT UP FROM 260 PER MONTH T 600 $ AT 65 DEGREES AND MY OLD ONE WAS HALF THIS AMOUNT WHY?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Are you certain it is all due to the unit? This would not make sense on a brand new heat pump to cause that issue. Have you had it checked to see if the unit drawing too much current. There is no reason that the unit would or really could cause that issue.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect if you had done anything that would increase your power bill such as add a spa or swimming pool heater you would have expected the power bill to increase So being that you are here asking what the issue might be, I am sure that is not the case.

There are indeed several things that could make your power bill increase with the new heat pump.

1.You may have a refrigerant leak that is causing the outdoor unit to cycle off on low pressure and therefore causing the backup elements to heat the house.

2.Your heat pump could be operating in cool mode rather than heat also causing the elements to heat the house

3.Heating sequencer could be stuck causing elements to stay on.

4..Outdoor may not be coming on at all causing elements to run.

To the lay person who does not work on these units, the answer would be "since your unit is new, there is nothing to cause this". but to those of us in the field actually dealing with these issues, we know that many things can be wrong.

Some of these things you would need refrigerant gauges a volt meter and an amp meter to check. Some we can check visually.

My first suggestion is to call the installing contractor if you had a company install it as this is sure to be a warranty issue and they may even help with this high utility bill.

If this is something you want to troubleshoot, I will be happy to assist you. Just let me know if you have the meters and we will go from here.